As believers in Christ, we are called to live holy lives (1 Peter 1:15-16). But what does holiness look like in our day and age, and how can we live it out? We are living in a world that is becoming increasingly ungodly and immoral. Taking a stand and living according to God’s Word can be difficult. We can be easily influenced by friends and family who don’t share our values, and it can be hard to make tough decisions when faced with peer pressure. So how can we stay true to our faith in 2023?
As we aim to live God’s Word, we must view holiness through the lens of who God says we should be. It means living with integrity, honor, and a purposeful mission. Holiness also includes giving preference to others above ourselves. How can we prioritize this when making decisions in our lives? What steps are we taking to be holy? What challenges come up that keep us from achieving holiness?
At times, sin can seem like an easy solution when faced with difficult problems or circumstances; however, the path of holiness leads to true joy. It requires us to look beyond our desires and seek the best; this often doesn’t line up with our flesh, and unfortunately, it’s not always convenient. How do we overcome temptation so that it no longer has a hold on us? How can we focus on self-control instead of indulgence or selfishness?
First, we must commit to spending time in God’s Word and prayer. God’s Word gives us a framework for living a holy life that pleases Him. We must also be in regular communication with God through prayer. We must be willing to listen to the Holy Spirit’s guidance and direction and obedient to Him.
Second, we must surround ourselves with godly people who will encourage us and challenge us to live holy lives. Having accountability partners to help us stay on the right path can be invaluable. We can find this support in our church families, small groups, and Christian fellowship.
Finally, we must be diligent in fleeing from temptation. We must be mindful of our surroundings and avoid putting ourselves in situations that could lead us unholily.
- Commit to spending time in God’s Word and prayer. Reading the Bible and praying gives us a proper framework for living holy lives that please God.
- Surround ourselves with godly people who will challenge us to live holy lives. Accountability partners, church families, and small groups are all good places to find this support.
- Flee from temptation by being mindful of our surroundings and avoiding situations that could lead us away from holiness.
- Make decisions based on giving preference to others above ourselves instead of indulging in our desires or acting selfishly.
- Find joy in holiness by looking beyond our desires and seeking what is best for us according to God’s Word.